Have you ever wondered what to do with those unwanted, out-of-date or disused household chemicals kept in your kitchen, bathroom, laundry, garage or garden shed?
Household Chemical Clean Outs are held twice a year on the Central Coast by the Central Coast Council, in cooperation with the NSW Environmental Protection Authority.
CleanOut is a FREE service for the safe disposal of a range of common household chemicals, many of which could cause harm if not disposed correctly. In addition, many of these materials can be recycled or reused, so not only are you helping to reduce waste and pollution, you are also helping in resource recovery efforts. Drop-off centres will accept household quantities up to a maximum 20 litres or 20 kilograms.
Business-related and commercial quantities are not accepted at CleanOut centres – call the Environment Line at 131 555 to find out correct disposal for businesses.
Household chemicals accepted include:
- Paint and paint-related products (thinners, strippers, varnishes etc)
- Pesticides, herbicides and poisons (fungicides, baits/poisons, wood preservatives)
- Solvents and household cleaners
- Motor oils, fuels and fluids
- Gas bottles
- Fire extinguishers
- Pool chemicals
- Acids and alkalis
- Hobby chemicals (photography chemicals etc)
- Fluorescent tubes
Storage and Transportation
PLEASE HANDLE AND TRANSPORT CHEMICALS CAREFULLY:
- NEVER MIX CHEMICALS as this may produce dangerous reactions
- Wherever possible, keep all chemicals in their original containers
- Ensure containers are clearly labelled and well sealed. If you do not know the contents, label the container ‘UNKNOWN CHEMICAL’
- Liquid can leak during transport; wrap containers holding liquids securely in newspaper, place in sturdy plastic bags and then plastic buckets or trays
- Keep household chemicals away from passengers, e.g. in the boot
Please note this is NOT a mobile pick up service.
THIS COLLECTION IS FOR HOUSEHOLDS ONLY.
A maximum of 20 litres or 20kg per item applies.
PLEASE HANDLE CHEMICALS WITH CAUTION AND DO NOT MIX.
For more details please call the EPA Environment Line on 131 555 or visit www.cleanout.com.au.